Thursday, August 14, 2008

Is Any Politician Honest?

How I feel for Elizabeth Edwards at this moment. He comes clean, she forgives him, and then further revelations begin to dribble forth, showing he hadn't entirely been truthful in his so-called confession. As a former Edwards supporter, I feel betrayed and used and am thoroughly disgusted, disappointed, and demoralized about politics right now. I didn't idolize the guy, but I thought his love and devotion to his family was unquestionable. This awful revelation about his affair only leads me to question the family devotion of Obama. (Ever since I learned of McCain's mistreatment of his first wife and his affair with Cindy, I've known better than to trust his word.) But what about Obama? Is it all a show? Is his love and devotion to his family true? Has he ever been unfaithful to his marriage vows?

These questions are important because, above all, I think Americans want honesty in their president. They want to vote for a candidate they can believe in. If you can't be honest with those closest to you, how can you be honest and forthright with the American people? One thing is sure. It will be a long time before I ever contribute financially to a campaign again.

Needless to say, I'm removing all signs of my prior support of Edwards on this site. It's too bad in a way, because I think he had the right take on matters of policy. He just let his self-interest take over.

No comments: