Monday, January 14, 2008

I Always Go for the Underdog

I can't help myself. I love to see the proud and mighty brought down, humbled. David did it to Goliath and politics sure does seem to resemble war lately, doesn't it? The way Clinton and Obama are exchanging blows back and forth I just hope it doesn't leave them both flattened...UNLESS it means that the public finally takes a good long look at John Edwards.

Let them take aim at each other. Edwards has got the true enemy in his sights: the secret money interests that have Washington (and the American people) by the throat. I'm realistic, though. He's lagging far behind in the polls now. He doesn't have anywhere near the funds that his Democratic rivals boast of. And his supporters are probably beginning to hedge their bets. I know I have.

But then I see a video like the one below and I'm reminded again why Edwards' candidacy is so important. He may not win, but it is crucial that his message be heard by as many Americans as possible. There's a moment in the video where you can see Bill Richardson in the background glance toward Hillary Clinton and smile as Edwards is trying to make his point during the last debate, as if to say "Here he goes again...and he hasn't got a chance." That may be, but I understand now why he's in it through the convention. He wants that platform at the Democratic Convention in Denver so that he can reach the biggest American audience possible with his message. Besides, maybe he'll surprise everyone and win this thing.

In any case, I always go for the underdog. Go Edwards!

1 comment:

KASnow said...

Just to make sure I understand Edward's argument. There is a direct nexus between corporate greed and poverty? Each person who does not have insurance does not because of corporate greed? Those below the poverty line bear no responsibility for their position - it is corporate greed that put them there? Is government's job to level the playing field by taking wealth from certain groups and redistributing to others (I don't think this is what our Founders had in mind). The politics of wealth redistribution where those with money are painted as bad and those without money are painted as victims doesn't sell well in all places. There are evils associated with corporate greed and there are many reasons why some people have not prospered in our society. Solving one problem does not necessarily fix the other and, apparently, not even the Democratic Party is buying what Mr. Edwards has to sell.